Saturday 5 July 2014

How to achieve job satisfaction

My colleague quit his job last week to concentrate on studying for grad school full-time, and while I pride myself on being one of his biggest supporters, I know that his real motive for leaving was to ultimately pursue a career that he is passionate about. Of course, he won’t be able to tell you what that is, just that he hopes to discover it.
His departure got me thinking. I’d be lying if I said that I was passionate about my job, but I don’t dread coming to work every day. Most days, as a matter of fact, I truly enjoy what I do. While I consider myself a lucky employee, surrounded by a circle of coworkers and a boss I adore and admire in and outside the office, I attribute much of my professional happiness to my workplace mindset. I’m a firm believer that with the right attitude, my dream job might not be light years ahead of me (move over, Anna Wintour!).
During the few short years I’ve been in the working world, I have accumulated 5 tricks that get me out the door in the morning, coffee in hand, all by opening bell.
Getting Enough Sleep
There was a (short) period of time in my life, post-college, that I had a hard time adjusting to having to work straight through an entire eight-hour day (hel-looooo, late nights!). Whether you are a new member of the corporate world, or have been immersed for years, being well-rested proves essential to a fresh morning outlook. Psssst… java helps, too!
Managing Your Time, Efficiently
My day-to-day workload varies, and during my busiest weeks, I understand that managing my to-do list (and my social time) simultaneously manages my stress level, which dictates my mood. While I always consider myself to be diligent and mindful of everything on my plate, making lists and checking them multiple times throughout the day always keeps me in check, and work completed on-time.
Knowing When You Need a Snickers Break
I have firm opinions on work hours, and although sometimes a project may require me to stay at the office later than usual, I make sure that I maintain a nice office/life balance that works for my schedule. That’s the thing about balance: We all have different thresholds. Know your limits, and keep your time managed well enough so that your workload is conducive to your schedule. Seems like a “Millennial” concept, but it can successfully apply to all of those who budget their time wisely (see above trick).
Admitting Your Mistakes, Taking Credit For What is Yours, Giving Credit When It’s Due
They say that sharing is caring, and when you share not only the credit, but the blame, you’re saving someone else from humiliation they may not deserve. Admitting to your wrong doings builds character, and allows your coworkers to trust you more easily. By the same token, take stock in your work, and accept praise for exceptional output. Taking blame and credit are two-way streets. Make sure to look both ways.
Helping everyone. Yes, everyone.
My biggest pet peeve in the workplace is when someone asks for help, and they just don’t get it. Making excuses for leaving your coworkers in the dust, or reactively helping (instead of proactively!) is actually hurting them, and you. Personal feelings aside, lending a hand to someone who is drowning, or who simply needs it, is not only a good deed, but is a positive reflection on the kind of person you are. And If your boss is watching, you better believe you’ve got some good karma coming your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment